Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I really have a son...

We had our 2nd interview at the embassy today... very uneventful, honestly. The first thing we did was go up to the window and pay the fee for the Visa for Hai. They ask you to do this before you're even told if there is any problem with the visa. I assume if there is a problem they skip this step, but who knows....

In any case, I paid the fee, surrendered my passport and then waited for my name to be called. They went in alphabetical order for our group, so we were somewhere in the middle (N for "Nguyen" being in the middle of the alphabet, that is).

Once our name was called, we went up to the glass window where a guy straight out of "Revenge of the Nerds" checked our paperwork and asked me to raise my right hand and swear that the information on Hai's paperwork was correct to the best of my knowledge. (You know, thinking back on it, I think I was balancing Hai with my right hand, which means I swore with my left... I'm surprised he didn't call me on that one...)

Once that was finished, he handed me a yellow card that said we could pick up Hai's visa tomorrow (Wed) at 4pm. It was all pretty damn anticlimactic, but a very nice finish to this process, I must say. I think this means that once I get through SF customs, I really and truly have a SON. How cool.

I've never been so eager to get on a transpacific flight before in my life...!!

M.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Melissa, Congratulations! It's getting so close! Can't wait to see you and your new son Timothy Hai McVicker!
Travel safely!
Barb

Anonymous said...

It's so cool to read the words 'my son' in this blog! Love it, love it, love it!

Karl and Lila Liebat said...

Woohoo! Your son! So is the part of the process that Hai Nguyen officially becomes Timothy Hai McVicker? The process is quite confusing, though it sounds like everything has gone rather smoothly thus far (knock on wood...). Karl and I were debating whether Hai is celebrating Halloween this year, and if so what costume he'd have. Yes, living vicariously through you. Loving the updates. Thanks for writing them...makes me feel close despite the distance. XXOO auntie fishlips.

Etta said...

How exciting that you're almost home with your son! Despite how exciting it probably is to explore Hanoi, I bet sitting around watching Hai play on the floor of your condo will be even better :)

Anonymous said...

i am soooo excited for you! i have loved reading all your posts and i can hardly wait to come and visit!

keep keeping us posted.

much love,
janine