Thursday, October 25, 2007

False start...

Well, we had a bit of an adventure this morning. We should be 1/2 way across the Pacific right now, but actually we are in the Horison hotel in Hanoi... It seems the US Embassy had a "printer problem" last night and could not print the visas. They printed them this morning and our agency rep rushed them to the airport, but unfortunately she arrived about 5 minutes after they closed the flight. Yes, we missed our flight by 5 min...

However, the good news is that we have Hai's visa and a big thick envelope of paperwork to give to immigration when we arrive in SFO on Friday. And we are all safe and sound and ensconced in the hotel and have confirmed seats on the Cathay flight through Hong Kong tomorrow (Friday).

Hai is sound asleep and has been that way most of the afternoon. I think the trip to (and from) the airport this morning, and the couple of hours we had to spend in the airport to change our flights was a bit too much for him. He's pooped.

So, after it all, the only obstacle we couldn't quite overcome was a bad printer and some US Embassy inefficiencies... I guess that's pretty good in the long run! Jaap, maybe you could send the embassy one of those fancy HP printers for Christmas? :-)

See you all in the USA, soon!!!

Melissa

2 comments:

Bryce said...

Melissa (and Hai),
Sorry to hear about your delay... but I am so excited to hear you're returning soon! Unfortunately I'm leaving for Romania on Saturday but I'll be back in a week and hope to plan a playdate for Bryce and Hai some time in November (or we can just drop by for a visit.) Happy flying and we'll see you then.

Cheers,
Susan

Anonymous said...

Dear Melissa, Hai and Josie,
(Your "Luddite Mom" decided to publish a comment! :-)I am soooo sorry about this additional hurdle! I have been on "pins and needles" waitng to hear if you were in the US and was very glad to read this posting. I have so many feelings of joy and I am so proud of you, Melissa! I also have deep gratitude for Josie, Jaap and Maria. Words can not convey my thanks for all your support for Melissa in her "Excellent Adventure." I hope to hear soon that you are safely on US soil and that all is well. Love you! Mom ("Ba-Ba")