Monday, October 1, 2007

Got the tickets, got the visa, now I gotta get the kid...

It is all still a bit surreal...

I'm leaving on Friday morning (or what to most sane people would be VERY late on Thursday night) to Hanoi via Hong Kong. I suspect I won't sleep much on the 15 hour or so flight... We arrive in Hanoi on Saturday morning and have the day on Sunday to recuperate from the flight. I'm planning a very long, champagne brunch at the Sofitel. I don't foresee a lot of long lunches in my future...

My best friend Maria is going with me for the first part of my 2-3 week trip. Then other best friends, Josie shows up on 10/10 and Jaap on 10/12. Thank goodness for each of them taking the time and making the sacrifice to be with me through all this. I can't really imagine doing this on my own...

I believe the most strange part of the long trip will be the first few days. Basically, on Monday, 10/8, we get in a car at 6:30am and drive to the orphanage that is about 100 miles outside of Hanoi. It will take around 3.5 - 4 hours to get there (yes, 3.5 hours to drive what would take most of us about an hour and a half).

From what they tell me, once we arrive we will meet with the orphanage director, and then be introduced to our kids. Here's this kid I've spent so much time dreaming about... Will he look like the grainy pictures I have? Will he be healthy? Will he be happy? Will he be scared? How will we communicate? What toys will he like? What's his personality like? And of course, what will he think of me?

It is still hard for me to picture what this will be like, even though it is what I think about all the time. I can't wait to upload a real picture to this blog, a picture of me and Hai!

I'll keep you all posted as best I can as I wander through this adventure. Next stop, Hanoi!

Melissa

5 comments:

Karl and Lila Liebat said...

You're about 5 hours into your journey across the ocean right now. We all know that Hai is one lucky kid to get you as a mom. Have a safe journey and know your friends are with you in spirit. Can't wait to share your experiences - hopefully in person, but definitely online.

Karl and Lila Liebat said...

We all know that Hai is one lucky kid to get you as a mom.
Can't wait to share your experiences in person, and online in the meantime. Have a safe journey and know your friends are with you along the way.

Anonymous said...

Am thrilled and happy for you Mel. Wish I could be there as well. I think you will find, when all is said and done, that this will be the most satisfying thing you've ever done. Hugs to you, Lorrie

Anonymous said...

What will Hai think of you? He'll think, "Wow! What a great mommy I'm gonna have! I bet she won't even try to ride a scooter with me in her arms." Send much love and good wishes!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mel, and welcome to your beautiful baby boy.Enjoy your time in Vietnam ang give little Hai a big hug from us.