Friday, October 12, 2007

An early update from Mom

Hi all -

Here's another update from when I first called my Mom on Monday night after we got home from the orphanage. Thought you would enjoy even though it may be a little dated.

Love to all -

Melissa

Hello All,
Thank you all for being so concerned and supportive about Melissa and this life changing adventure. I am so proud of her. I talked with her this morning. (8:15 Monday US MT and 9:15 PM in Vietnam .) Of course she had an emotional and extremely challenging day. It is so comforting to know that Maria is with her now and that Jaap and Josie will be there soon as well. I know how much that means to Melissa to have her friends with her to help with this journey. Thank you!

Brief update from the phone call: The trip to/from the orphanage was long and over a very primitive road. I’m sure Melissa is exhausted. Hai slept in Melissa’s arms on the way back. The nannies all hugged and kissed Hai good bye. She said that Josie’s suggestion of the Polaroid camera was a huge success! Everyone wanted their pictures taken by Maria. (Melissa said that Maria was very popular---like the “clown at the birthday party!” J) I know that it means so very much to Melissa to have Maria with her. After returning to the apartment, she had bathed Hai and he was fast asleep as we talked. She said he only cried when one of them left the room. She sang to him and it comforted and quieted him. (Yes, a former music teacher’s daughter! J ) She has to visit the Vietnamese passport office in the morning. I am sure there will be tons of bureaucracy to take care of. All seems to be OK as of now.

Thanks again to everyone. “Mom” McVicker (AKA “Granny” J)

1 comment:

Karl and Lila Liebat said...

Loving the updates! Keep them coming. Pictures of you and Hai are posted outside of your cube. Everyone's asking about you and sends their best. Today Lisa and I had coffee w/Christian. I asked him where his crib was. He said it went to Auntie Mel's new baby. We told him the name is Timothy Hai like "hi!." Later he refered to Auntie Mel's son: "Hello" (Lisa and I nearly spat out our coffee!)