Wednesday, January 30, 2008

It's official!!

It's official - Hai is now a member of the "McVicker family with all the rights and responsibilities attached thereto". Grandma and I are trying to figure out if that means he's got to take out the trash and clean up after the cat when he's at her house. I'm just glad that now I can get him a social security number and put him to work!

Seriously, yesterday we had our formal re-adoption ceremony at the Santa Clara Superior Court. It was definitely ceremonial, as I didn't even have to show my ID... :-) Maria, Jaap and Beatriz (Hai's nanny) were all there with me and Hai as I signed the adoption order and swore to be his parent forever. It was pretty cool and we had a good cry, a great lunch, and some champagne, afterward at E&O Trading Company in San Jose. We figured SE Asian food made sense, and their Vietnamese shaking beef is excellent.

I think now all the formalities are done and Hai and I can get down to the business of just being a family. All I need to do is apply for his passport so we can go down to Cabo and he can see his timeshare soon!

Oh, and Jaap has all the pictures from yesterday, as well as still having the pictures from Hai's birthday. Jaap - i'm calling you out - you owe me a CD or a download site for those pics!! :-)

Love all,

Melissa

2 comments:

Karl and Lila Liebat said...

Wonderful news. Sorry I missed it, but very excited for you and Hai...for the official news and for surviving an appointment with county officials!

Lee said...

Congratulations! What a great day!